West Virginia Purchasing Division, State Agency for Surplus Property
West Virginia Purchasing Division, State Agency for Surplus Property

Eligible Organizations

In an effort to support the wonderful organizations in West Virginia, WV Surplus operates a special program for eligible organizations. This program assists organizations in our state with stretching their budgets as they serve the people of West Virginia.

What is an eligible organization?

In addition to West Virginia state agencies, qualifying eligible organizations include:

  • 501(c)3 nonprofits
  • County commissions
  • County boards of education
  • Local Municipalities
  • Parks and recreation commissions
  • Other nonprofits
  • Churches
  • Volunteer fire departments
  • Homeless shelters

What are the benefits of being a registered eligible organization?

Organizations that have completed an Application for Eligibility with WV Surplus have access to the following benefits:

  • Creating want/watch lists
  • Discounts (25% off purchases of three or more items, excluding large ticket items such as vehicles)
  • Access to new items for up to five days before they become available to the public
  • Item holds for up to five days after payment is made
  • Inventory pickup and delivery
  • Test driving of vehicles
  • Screening of federal property
  • Requesting property through GovDeals
  • Requesting property through GSA's Donation Program or Fixed Price Program
  • Special discounts such as furniture giveaways

How do I view state inventory?

Inventory can be viewed several ways. The first is by visiting our warehouse in Dunbar during our normal business hours (Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., excluding state holidays). WV Surplus also conducts online auctions through GovDeals. If an eligible organization sees an item they want on an online auction, that entity can request for it to be removed from auction and sold directly to them. 

Eligible organizations may also file a “want” list with WV Surplus. Our staff will monitor this list and notify the eligible organization if an item is received that fits that organization's needs. 

How do I view/obtain federal inventory?

WV Surplus is the only agency authorized to obtain federal surplus property in West Virginia for registered eligible organizations. Please note that not all eligible organizations​ qualify for federal property. To find out if you qualify, please call WV Surplus at 304-766-2626.

Federal property available at the WV Surplus warehouse includes police vehicles, desks, and office furniture.

Additional available federal property may be viewed online at GSAXcess.gov. Organizations interested in viewing property must contact WV Surplus for assistance obtaining a unique User ID and Password. Once an entity finds property that it would like to obtain, the organization must contact WV Surplus to make arrangements for securing the property. All federal property is offered on an “as is, where is” basis, and the requesting organization is responsible for the pickup and transport of the property from its current location to the eligible organization’s location.

How to Register as an Eligible Organization

Eligible organizations are required to submit an Application for Eligibility every three years or earlier if there is an administration change. The only exception to this rule is volunteer fire departments who are required to submit an application annually.

Information needed to complete this form includes:
  • Contact information
  • Type or purpose of organization
  • Source of funding
  • Types of property needed
  • Authorized representatives
  • Non-discrimination assurance
Completed applications can be submitted via email to WVSASP@wv.gov​ or by mail to 2700 Charles Ave., Dunbar, WV 25064.